I have completed Levels I & II plus advanced trainings for specialized uses of EMDR through the EMDR Institute where the founder is Francine Shapiro, PhD.
Things you may like to know about EMDR
Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) is an empirically based and highly effective treatment for:
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Trauma (assault, rape, war, natural disasters, etc.)
- Avoidance Issues
The treatment includes:
- Use of visual, auditory, and/or tactile senses
- Focus on decreasing distress and negative self-beliefs
- Focus on increasing positive self-thoughts
EMDR is typically a short-term treatment and is particularly effective for single-event trauma. It is generally:
- Effective in 3-7 sessions
A more detailed explaination can be found at the EMDR International Association. This is a summary of the information.